I love browsing the fruits and vegetable section of my local grocery store. Creating recipes in my head as I look at the rows of neatly packed fresh produce and dreaming of exotic smoothie combinations. I am guilty of spending way too much time in the supermarket, it’s like my new playground!
So when I saw boxes of strawberries on sale, I thought what better way to enjoy strawberries than with some homemade strawberry compote. The best part, it can be enjoyed with the family since most people are not averse to strawberry jam. And compote being an enhanced version of strawberry jam, will not make my family scrunched up their nose with my healthy (and thus they assume not yummy) recipe. Score!
Compote is like jam but with a more watery texture and is usually spiced to enhance the flavor of the fruit used. My mom loves jam but she is quite conscious of the sugar levels in commercially available jams. This strawberry compote was perfect for her. She toasted extra thick slices of bread, cut them into fat ‘soldiers’ and dipped them into the compote. An unorthodox way to enjoy this compote but delicious nonetheless.
I, on the other hand, poured it on top of my oatmeal and sprinkle a generous serving of seeds and nuts. A comforting and warming twist to my usual oatmeal repertoire but one that I would be stoked to replicate with other fruits in season. It also makes such a luxurious weekend breakfast!
Have you make compote before? Would you try this recipe?
Recipe: Homemade Strawberry Compote
- 250 grams of strawberries, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Microwave strawberries on high for 1 minute or until liquids are released from strawberries.
- Use the back of a fork to mash the microwaved strawberries. I like to leave some chunky parts.
- Mix maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice into the mashed strawberries.
- Top with more cinnamon to serve (optional)
* You can use any other type of sweeteners, including brown sugar, honey or agave syrup. Adjust according to taste.
Thank you so much for reading!
(c) GEMHL ALL RIGHTS RESERVED