This is a marriage of two of my favourite breakfast foods. Oats and Matcha. They may sound like such a odd pair but you never know until you try. Right? And for this, I think I have struck gold in breakfast heaven.
It is one of those uninspiring days, not knowing what I should have for breakfast the next day. It’s a weekend, all the more reason for a nice good breakfast. I opened my pantry and stare at the array of ingredients in front of me, my mind slow and sluggish. And then inspiration strikes, or maybe just the devil may care attitude.
“Why don’t I just mix 2 of my favourite breakfast items together?
Just to try out, you know?!
ARGHH… what if it taste awful.
It does sound awful AND disgusting.
Oh heck! No harm trying.”
And so this recipe came about. And I am glad it did.
Matcha is such a powerful antioxidant and together with nutritious whole grains, make a formidable pair. These oats are extra creamy as they are soaked in warmed almond milk and then let to sit overnight. They are sweetened with a little manuka honey as I prefer to taste the fresh sweetness of fruits for breakfasts. The nutty taste of the soaked oats combined with the soothing flavours of matcha will put you in a jolly good mood in the morning. A great start to any day.
Recipe: Almond Matcha Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon manuka honey
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- Heat almond milk in the microwave for about 1 minute.
- Pour heated almond milk over oats and mix in rest of the other ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Allow mixture to cool before storing in the fridge
- In the morning, stir mixture once more. Top with sliced bananas and cinnamon to serve.
Thank you so much for reading!