I must confess that I am not vegan. I love my fish and eggs too much. Especially fish, any type, or maybe just thick juicy melt-in-your mouth sashimi on pearly Japanese rice (ok, sushi).
But occasionally, I do feel the need to up my leafy intake and eat more greens. When that happens, I often gravitate towards a vegan salad. No eggs, no meat, only PURE plant goodness. Not only is it pretty to look at but the riot of bright colours just instantly makes me smile =)
This salad is a mix of tangy flavours from the plump, juicy tomatoes, sweet raisins and lemon juice. The naturally sweet and earthy beetroots are high in anti-inflammatory components that help your cells fight against pollution, bacteria and all environmental nasties. The healthy fats from the seeds will keep you full and satiated, which means you won’t suffer from a mid-afternoon energy slump. These flavours all come together on a simple bed of fresh arugula for that subtle spicy aftertaste.
Recipe: Vegan Fiesta
For the salad:
- 200 grams arugula
- 1/2 yellow capscicum, sliced
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 2 beetroots, halved ( I use the canned ready-cook ones)
- 2 teaspoons raisins
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and set aside
- Arrange Salad ingredients on a large plate
- Drizzle with dressing and serve
Thank you so much for reading!